If you are like me and trying to eat just that bit better this year, this recipe might just help you with some of those sweet cravings you have been having. At just 167 calories each they are even better for you than the Starbucks Lemon & Poppy seed "skinny" muffin which contain a suprising 338 calories. These cupcakes are so light and full of flavour you won't miss the butter or 100+ grams of sugar in your regular cakes. I found this recipe on the BBC Food website, this one is by The Hairy Bikers.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 100g Blueberries
- 1 unwaxed Lemon, zested
- 2 eggs
- 150ml low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 100g icing sugar (Top tip: Use the Lemon juice from the Lemon you zested earlier)
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and add your paper cases to your cake tray
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl
- Add the Blueberries, sugar and Lemon zest, then make a well in the mixture and add the eggs
- Beat in the milk, yoghurt and oil into the flour mixture until lightly but well mixed.
- Divide the mixture into the cases and bake in the oven for around 16 minutes
- Once baked let the cakes cool on a wire rack and begin to make the icing
- Simply combine the Lemon juice and icing sugar together, a bit at a time until smooth and top your cupcakes.
- Wait 15-30 minutes for the icing to set and try to resist eating them (...if you can!)
If you give these a go please let me know, I'd love to see how yours turn out!
P.S If you want to see what I've been up to recently check out and follow my Instagram: @iamdaisyalice