Me and my sister decided to bake something today and didn't feel like making typical cupcakes so we had a look on the GoodFood website which is one of my go to recipe websites and we found this recipe for Lemon Bakewell tarts. I hope you enjoy this recipe and give it a whirl yourself! This recipe makes 6 big ones or 16 mini ones (use a standard cupcake tray for this)
- Sweet Pastry:
- 85g butter , at room temperature
- zest 1 lemon
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 200g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- Lemon Filling:
- 100g butter , at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 85g ground almonds
- 25g plain flour
lemon marmalade or
lemon curd (I used marmalade in mine)
- 25g flaked almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C or fan/gas mark 6. To make the pastry, put butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl until soft. Then sieve in the icing sugar and mix again until light and creamy. Add in the egg yolk with 1 tbsp water, add in the flour until it's combined.
On a floured surface, form the pastry together into a ball, then wrap in cling film. Chill in the fridge for 15-30 mins.
- Roll out the pastry and use a cookie cutter to make your tarts and place into the each hole, make sure your tray had been greased. Put in the fridge while making the filling.
- To make the filling, beat together the lemon zest, butter and caster sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, including a spoonful of the ground almonds with each addition. When all the egg has been added, mix in the remaining ground almonds and flour.
- Spread the marmalade or curd over the bases of the tart cases. Spoon filling into the cases. The tarts will need to be full to the top. Scatter over the flaked almonds and bake for 15-20 mins until lightly golden.
- Remove from the tins and serve warm or cool. Enjoy!